Professor’s ‘Legacy’ presented in dance show

Over a semester of hard work, dedication and sweat, EC’s dance department is proud to present its spring dance concert, “Legacy.”

“This show is dedicated to Bernice Boseman, a dance professor here who is retiring after 34 years,” Daniel Berney, dance professor, said.

“We are still including student choreography, but most of the show is her choreography over the years.”

Five student choreographers were chosen to choreograph a piece for this show after a competitive round of auditions. This show is different from previous ones, Pam Santelman, dance professor said, because a majority of the pieces are Bernice’s work.

“We have pieces in this show that were done 15 years ago, so it’s very different in that sense.  We are also bringing back old dance students,” Santelman said.

Every piece in this show is unique in it’s own way.  Some are light-hearted while others have deep stories behind them, Santelman said.

“My piece is about my personal walk with God and the issues and struggles I’ve gone through,” Elisha Wiley, 23, dance major, said.

“It starts with the building of this relationship and everything is going wrong.  It gets so deep that it’s like a suicide, but in the end I find that connection with him and it ends in peace.”

Amanda Meade-Tatum, 21, dance and theater major, incorporated musical theater into her routine.

“My piece is called, ‘OMG You Guys’” and the song is from the ‘Legally Blonde The Musical’. It has about 19 dancers in it,” Meade-Tatum said. “I hope the audience has fun and laughs with my dance.  It’s a fun piece.”

Another approach is including live music with the dance.

“My duet piece is inspired by ballet and based on a lyrical poem.  Luckily, I found a string quartet from the music department to play for me,” Brenna Bryant, 21, fine arts major, said.

The dance department not only give students the opportunity to showcase their art, it helps them in their personal lives.

“I have learned to be more confident and to trust myself,” Bryant said.  “It’s really just something from within.”

Santelman is one of the three instructors coordinating the dance concert.

“We believe that the community college level should have a variety of styles, which is what ‘Legacy’ is going to demonstrate,” Santleman said.

It begins Saturday at 8 p.m., and Sunday at 3 p.m. in the Marsee Auditorium. Tickets are $10 presale and $15 the day of the show.