Filed under Sports

Warriors bounce back from an early loss to advance to the state playoffs

The Warriors softball team advanced for the first time ever to the California Community College State Championships after winning back to back games, of a best of 3 series, beating Santiago Canyon College 5-0 and 10-6 Saturday afternoon.

In a best of 3 series there is little room for error, and even less if you lose the first game. The odds aren’t exactly in your favor.

“I just felt like one team has to win two games anyways and we might as well win them both on the same day,” said head coach Jessica Rapoza, “I always think the most important game of a three game series is the second game, game two.”

EO6A1213.jpg

Sophomore Karla Calderon #4, makes contact with the ball at the CCCAA Regional playoffs, Saturday, May 12. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

The Warriors were shutout the day before in game one, losing 3-0 against Santiago Canyon, making Saturday’s games a must win situation.

Frosh pitcher Clarissa Chiquete faced the daunting task of pitching in both games. Chiquete went the distance pitching 7.0 innings in game one and then pitching 5.0 innings in game two.

EO6A0826.jpg

Freshman Clarissa Chiquete, the starting pitcher for the Warriors in the CCCAA Regional Playoffs game, May 12, at El Camino College. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

“I’m always nervous but today was like jitters, I was excited but nervous, but it’s more of excitement, like I know we’re going to do good,” Chiquete said.

The Warriors cruised to a 5-0 win in game one, setting up the winner-take-all scenario for game three.

The Warriors jumped out early leading game three, taking a 6-1 lead going into the second inning.

EO6A1063.jpg

EC Warriors played Santiago Canyon at the CCCAA Regional Playoffs Softball game, Saturday, May 12, at El Camino College. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

“I think we just came out and our bats were on (today),” said sophomore center fielder Karla Calderon, “Yesterday we obviously had a rough start and we couldn’t just get our bats going, so our bats is what won us the game, base running was very key and we just came out ready.”

The Warriors were definitely ready and their hot bats continued to sizzle, driving in four more runs over the next three innings. Defensively the Warriors managed to forestall a late comeback by Santiago to close out the game 10-6.

this is an image

Diamond Lewis hugs team mate Ashley Machado after winning the game against Santiago Canyon in the CCCA Regional Playoffs, Saturday, May 12. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

EC will continue their momentum heading into the CCCAA State Championships that are scheduled to begin this Thursday, May 17 at Mount San Antonio College against San Mateo.

EO6A1375.jpg

Warriors Celebrate the win against Santiago Canyon at the CCCAA Regional Playoffs Softball game, Saturday, May 12. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

UPDATE: This article was updated for grammatical errors.