El Camino will induct a new class into the Athletic Hall of Fame

Eight former athletes and the recently retired El Camino head football coach will be inducted into El Camino’s Athletic Hall of Fame at the induction ceremony at the Ayres Hotel in Hawthorne, CA on May 5.

This is the 27th Athletic Hall of Fame ceremony and it is a tribute to athletes, coaches and other distinguished individuals, who deserve recognition for their accomplishments in athletics and for their support of the El Camino Athletic program.

“It is an open nomination process with no restrictions, so anyone can (nominate) a former coach, student-athlete or an individual that has supported the athletic program,” EC Athletic Director Colin Preston said. “From there a committee of 11 individuals get together to look through the applications and a max of eight individuals can be selected.”

More than 200 athletes and coaches have been recognized for their excellence and support in El Camino’s Athletic program since the event began in 1988.

This years inductees include seven players from sports such as football, women’s basketball, Water polo, wrestling, along with track and field. Also being inducted is recently retired legendary EC head football coach John Featherstone.

The 2016 inductees are:

1. Tim Buzbee – Football 1971/1972

2. Jeff Cummins – Football 1988/1989

3. Richard De Armitt – Football 1947/1948

4. John Featherstone – Coaching 1985‐2015

5. Chloe Grimm – Women’s Basketball 2004/2005

6. Fritz Marohn – Men’s Water Polo 1992‐1994

7. Hal Simonek – Wrestling 1957

8. Harold Young – Men’s Track & Field 2003/2004

Featherstone was previously inducted in 2005 for his role as a player on El Camino’s football team. Being inducted this year for his role as head football coach will make Featherstone the first ever two-time EC Athletic Hall of Fame inductee.

“I think this is great thing that (EC) is doing and I am really humbled and honored,” Featherstone said. “When i had the opportunity to apply for the (head coaching job), I was very excited. This is great honor not only for me, but for coach Engle, the staff and the players that were a part of it. I enjoyed every moment that I had at El Camino.”

The event will begin at 5:30 p.m. with a social hour followed by dinner and the presentation ceremony at 6 p.m.