Softball team takes a look back at what it accomplished

During the season, members of the softball team were likely seen practicing at the softball field for upcoming games. Now, they have left the softball field as their season came to a close on April 24 against Cerritos College.

“It was a good thing that we ended the season with a strong, competitive game,” Elaine Martinez, coach, said.

The Warriors faced changes, but managed to pull through.

“For the first semester with a new team and new coaches, I felt that we went pretty far,” Vivian Santacruz, first baseman and pitcher, said.

Alia Williams, centerfielder, made it to the California Community College Athletic Association and made it to the first team and second team.

The first team is a selection of players of the league consisting of 13 teams. The second team is the second set of the best players in the conference, Martinez said.

Yasmin Antonio, short stop, was considered to be the player who improved the most, Martinez said.

“She was in the low hundreds and this year she got to four hundred,” Martinez said.

Points are counted out of a thousand. With 300 points, a player is considered average while 500 points means the player has a very good athletic performance.

“We were able to compete and had a competitive drive,” Martinez said. “Because of that, we were able to have some pretty good games.”

The team had a record of 11-19 this season, which came second to the record of 18 wins in a season, Martinez said.

For the next season, Santacruz said that she has a strong feeling that the team will make it to playoffs.

“The team learned to make a positive thing out of every situation inside and outside of the field,” Melissa Sanchez, assistant coach, said.

Martinez plans on approaching the team in a similar way next season.

“It was fun, exciting and different everyday,” Santacruz said. “It was something I looked foward to.”