Softball team takes its losses but still plan to have a strong season

Following the softball team’s March 8 win against Pasadena, the Warriors were faced with a losing streak.

The Warriors lost to Long Beach, 1-0, on March 13 and to East Los Angeles, 23-7, on March 15.

East Los Angeles took an early lead with 13 runs in the top of the first inning, but the Warriors were not able to come back from such a significant early lead.

The game ended after five innings, with the Warriors behind 16 runs.

Although they were unsuccessful, the Warriors tried their best and made some good plays, Vivian Santacruz, first and third baseman, said.

The Long Beach game was slightly more successful compared to the one against East L.A.

Long Beach scored one run in the bottom of the second, but the pace slowed and neither team scored the rest of the game.

Marissa Merced, first baseman, pitched for six innings during the Long Beach game.

With twenty-three players at bat, only three hits were made, with one resulting in a run. Merced had three strikeouts during the game.

“Marissa (Merced) did a great job—they earned that run,” Santacruz said.

“Merced pitched a really good game—probably the best I’ve seen all year,” Elaine Martinez, coach, said.

Priscilla Cardona, a new player, has “been very successful” as shortstop and at bat this year, Santacruz said.

Yasmin Antonio, outfielder, who had been ineligible to play due to a lack of units, has recently returned and made some vast improvements since her leave.

“Yasmin has been doing very well at the plate,” Martinez said.

The Warriors look forward to their next game against Compton on Tuesday at 3 p.m. at home.

In order to achieve success during this game, they will need to adjust to the pitcher while up at bat, Santacruz said.

They will continue to practice hitting, defense, and throws, Antonio said.

The Warriors have recently ended their losimg streak on March 20 against Compton with a final score of 25-2.