Volleyball team sweeps Trade Tech

Playing the last home game of the season, the Warriors looked to make it a special one against Los Angeles Trade Technical College.

With five players from the women’s volleyball team named as  Scholar Ballers, the Warriors were ready for a final win.

The Scholar Ballers, all student athletes who have excelled in academics by achieving at least a 3.0 GPA were libero Zoe Pantera, outside hitters Kaitlyn Edwards Ericka Wilvang and Carly Siverts, and middle blocker Lauren Edwards.

Coach Le Valley Pattison also decided to play every player on the team, since it was the last game at home.

“It was a fun game,” Pattison said. “Our rule for this game was if you made a mistake then you would just sub yourself out and someone else would come in for you.”

The first game started off well for EC as they looked to dominate the smaller L.A Trade Teach.

The Warriors started off 2-0, but the Beavers scored two points of their own to make it an interesting game.

The Warriors then turned on the switch going on a 6-0 run before the Beavers scored again.

From there, middle blockers Miranda Gagnier and Tarryn Luafalemana, took over winning the game 25-10.

“I came out and I just tried to keep my team and myself focused,” Luafalemana said.

The Warriors started the game off with a 3-0 lead, but then Trade Tech scored two straight points. The game was close at 8-5, but the Warriors went on a 17-0 run to close the game.

With good offense from setters Chantelle Hood and Sarah Mcfadden, the Warriors never looked back and sealed the win at 25-5.

“Our goal tonight was to stay focused,” Hood said. “We didn’t play the best team but as an individual athlete, you don’t play down to your opponent and you play to your full potential.”

The third game started off 2-1,  but EC found a way to pound the ball.

L.A Trade Tech played its best game, scoring more points combined than in the first two,  but that wasn’t enough to come close against the Warriors.

With strong defense from Hood and good hitting from middle blocker Nigeria Owens, the Warriors got a another win, 25-15.

Gagnier had six kills, Luafalemana had 10 kills, and hood had six kills to go along with 11 digs.

“On defense, I just tried to get good positioning and I adjusted well to what Trade Tech was doing,” Hood said.