Warriors one win away from bowl game

After a three and a half hour uncomfortable bus-ride to Righetti High School to face the Allan Hancock College, the football team was out to a fast start.

Alondra Johnson sparked the team with a 61-yard touchdown in the first two minutes of the game leading EC to a 38-14 victory.

“It was a new play that we had just installed, a wrinkle from last week that worked pretty well,” Johnson said. “They bit pretty hard on a fake and everybody got into their position to make a block and I went untouched.”

Johnson wasn’t done there, he also had a 30-yard touchdown run for his second score of the game.

“I was really pumped up after that one,” Johnson, who finished with 109 total yards and two touchdowns, said. “The receiver had a great block and I was able to score.”

After going down early in the game, the Warriors began to air it out and quarterback Omar Herrera led the way.

Herrera went 18 for 28 for 372 yards and three touchdowns, all in the first half. Luckner Brady was one of Herrera’s favorite targets, finishing the day with 166 yards on seven receptions.

Along with Herrera, the Warriors’ rushing game was pivotal in taking time off the clock and insuring the win.

Peter Walton rushed for 100 yards on 18 carries, leading the team in rushing yards.

“Our guys played great,” John Featherstone, coach, said. “After that long drive, our guys came out and performed really well. I’m proud of them.”

Along with the offense running on all cylinders, the defense dominated after allowing 14 points in the first quarter. 

The defense racked up three sacks, one forced fumble and had one interception while they shutout Allan Hancock in the last three quarters of the game.

With the win, the Warriors, 8-1 overall and 3-1 in conference play, are one victory away from a possible state championship game and national championship.

“Last week was the first week coach (John Featherstone) told us we only have two games left,” Johnson said. “He told us that if we won against Hancock and win our next game, we will give ourselves a really good chance to make something happen for the playoffs.”

The Warriors now turn their eyes to Saturday when Ventura College visits Murdock Stadium at 6 p.m. for the team’s last regular season home game of the year.