Women’s soccer cruises in 3-0 victory against Compton

Coming off a 1-0 victory over Mt. San Antonio College, the Warriors wanted to keep the win streak going when they faced off against Compton College.

“We were excited because it was our first conference home game and we knew we had to win,” forward Itchel Guzman said. “To get the win against Mt. San Antonio was great because we hadn’t beaten them in a long time, so we wanted to keep the momentum going against Compton.”

The Warriors improved their record (7-1-1) with a 3-0 victory. Contributing to the victory was midfielder Yennifer Baca, who sealed the game for the Warriors.

“It felt great, all I wanted was to start the season off with a win and continue to work hard to keep up our good record,” Baca said. 

“I think we played really well and I’m definitely satisfied with the result,” Jaymie Baquero, coach, said. 

The team started off a little slow, but was able to score in the first half. Once the second half began, the team picked up the pace and sealed its third straight win.

“I believe it wasn’t our best performance, but we definitely picked up momentum in the second half and that’s where we began to play as a team again,” Baca said.

Some good passing and communication created the needed moments for the Warriors to score.

“The plays that created the goals like the runs down the line were important for us,” Baca said. 

“We came out a little bit sluggish, but we picked up the pace in the second half and controlled the game,” Baquero said.  

The team has shown improvements as the season goes on, but like any other team, it feels it can still work on some of the areas of its game.

“We had good crosses, good runs and controlled the ball well,” Guzman said.

Baca also said communication is key.

“We are communicating more which is making the flow of the game easier,” Baca added. “It’s a learning process, but we’ve done a great job of keeping the game under control.”

Like any other team, the Warriors believe that they haven’t hit their full potential just yet, and know that they can play better.

“Personally, I could have capitalized on shots and some passes,” Guzman said. “We have a lot of good games ahead of us to improve on.”

“There are areas we can work on, but we’ve made progress in the games we’ve played and I’m happy with the improvements,” Baquero said.

The Warriors will look to extend their win streak when they face off against Cerritos College tomorrow. The game will start at 7 p.m. at Murdock Stadium.

“We’re playing the team that has been in first place for the last couple of years, however we’re not afraid because we know that Cerritos is not unbeatable,” Baquero said.