Runners finish seventh at the Ontario So Cal

Sweat beads dripped down the side of his face, making their way down to his chest as he took a few deep breaths crossing the finish line, David Rosales once again led the men placing tenth place with a 21:13 time over the 4.05 mile course against 272 runners.

Only five points away from placing fourth, fifth or even sixth place, EC cross-country men came in seventh place on Friday at the Southern California Championships preview invitational, at Guasti Regional Park in Ontario.

As minutes began to slip away, the Warriors pushed to the finish line by sticking close together bringing Justin Caracoza in 31st place coming in at 21:48, four places behind him taking 35th place was Jon Nakai coming in at 21:53.

Alex Villaescusa coming in at 21:56 placing 38th place, right behind him was Drew Griffie in 39th place also coming in at 21:56.

Absent from the previous invitationals due to his recent illness, Anthony Lewis was seen back on the scene.  He placed 64th place coming in at a 22:23 time.

“It was good to see top 2010 returner Anthony Lewis back from a two week illness,” coach, Dean Lofgren, said.

The crowd may have noticed an unfamiliar face this time, as Mike Guizar, came in 90th place at 23:02.

Taking the lead, L.A. Trade Tech won the team title with 41 points, with Orange Coast right behind them in second place with 106 points; American River placed third with only a seven point difference, finishing with 113 points.

Finishing fourth, fifth and sixth place were San Diego Mesa with 148 points, LA Valley with 151 points, and Riverside with 152 points, leaving El Camino in seventh place with 153 points.

On the other hand, placing 27th against 32 other teams, freshman Chloe Stager led the women to its finish, followed by freshmen Lauren Brown, Karlie Castro-Kahn, Julissa Vaca and Winter Wyatt.

“Our women’s team is pretty small this time but I enjoy running and it’s good motivation,” Stager said.

Even without much experience the women’s cross-country team gains more familiarity every time it runs the field.

“El Camino placed 27th in the 32 team field with a young group that continue to get better as they acquire more experience,” Lofgren said.

Unlike the men’s race, Orange Coast took the lead and won the team title for the women with 22 points. With top ranked Glendale’s absence, El Camino placed 27th in the 32 team field.

The teams are still looking for its star power after the loss of David Cardona and Jose Lezama who transfered. Anthony Lewis will look to fill those shoes when he competes in the next invitational this weekend.

The next meet for cross-country men and women will be the Mt. San Antonio College Invitational at Mt. SAC Friday, Oct.14.