Warriors sink all opponents

It came down to the last minute of the game as the Warriors were in a back-and-forth battle with L.A. Valley.

The women’s water polo team was up four goals and then let L.A. Valley get within two goals until it was finally able to get the ball back and hold the ball until the clock ran out.

“That was a tough game it really went down to the wire and we were never able to feel like we were going to win until the game was over,” Corey Stanbury, coach, said.

The Warriors have started off the season fast and went undefeated at last week’s El Camino College tournament and took first place.

The team defeated Rio Hondo 23-11 in a very balanced game where the team had five people on the team score three or more goals.

Along with that game, the Warriors beat Santa Monica, 18-9, after starting the game 5-0.

“That was a great game. We were able to have everyone play starters and our whole bench played,” Stanbury said.

The team was led in the tournament by Kristine Wand, who scored 18 goals throughout the tournament and registered 12 steals.

Along with Wand, Ariel Carillo scored 11 goals and Tamara Thebodeau who had 5 goals hit the back of the net.

The team is led by some newcomers who are excited for the season.

“For my first time, it was exciting and nerve-wracking,” Tess Mckelvy said. “I didn’t get to play much, but I look forward to working hard to play more.”

This team has been focusing scoring and has a great team-first mentality that Stanbury looks forward to, he said.

“This is a great team, we have a good team mentality and it’s good that we also have a lot of returning players on the team,” Mckelvy said.

The team is also without one of its best scores and will look to continue its winning when it travels to Mt. San Antonio for the Mt. San Antonio tournament tomorrow and Saturday.