Warriors come back to tie San Diego MESA

Down 1-0 in the 43rd minute, Yennifer Baca was awarded a penalty kick with a chance to tie the game against San Diego MESA.

Baca lined up for the kick and with no hesitation nailed a bullet shot that went straight to the back of the net to tie the game 1-1.

“I love shooting pk’s, so it was a simple task for me. I felt confident and relaxed with no pressure,” Baca said. “It was definitely a great feeling, I had my team supporting me as well as our family and friends that went to watch us, and I couldn’t let them down.”

“Personally we felt a bit tired, but we couldn’t let that get into our heads and we had to keep playing our game,” Itchel Guzman, forward, said.

After traveling from San Diego the day before the game the team was able to conjure up just enough to get the tie.

“We kept working hard, and didn’t give up even though we had just played Tuesday. I think it was a test to see where the team was physically,” Yennifer Baca, defender said.

The team owes the tie to enough confidence in itself to get the win.

“I feel like the team came out ready and focused,” Baca, said. “We knew it wasn’t going to be an easy game, they were very skillful and physical, but I believe that really brought the Warrior spirit we have as a team out.”

Even though the team was unable to pull out the win, the team is proud of the outcome considering they traveled to San Luis Obispo and got home late Tuesday night.

“We fought very hard and did very well. We had our opportunities, we just couldn’t capitalize on them,” Jaymie Baquero, coach, said. “San Diego was physically aggressive, and a 1-1 tie was a good result.”

The team will continue to work hard and look to improve from some mistakes it made against MESA.

“We wanted to win but missed a few opportunities, so hopefully we can just learn from our mistakes, which will help us during the season,” Guzman said. “We have been improving and trying to fix all our errors, but like any other team they are going to happen.”

The Warriors will be looking to continue their hot start to the season, when they travel to Victor Valley tomorrow.

The game will start at 1 p.m.

The team believes it hasn’t peaked yet and will continue to get better.

“I believe that every game we step it up more and more,” Baca said. “The team has been improving and I can’t wait to see how far the team will get.”