Men’s soccer team ties San Bernardino Valley College 1-1 after costly penalty

With only a few seconds left in a battle with San Bernardino Valley, Christian Campos committed a hard foul on Marco Moreno of San Bernardino Valley and was awarded a penalty kick.

Moreno would convert the kick and give San Bernardino the 1-1 tie.

The kick gave away the Warriors opportunity for their first victory of the season.

“There wasn’t a game-changing play, we were ahead 1-0 and they tied it with after converting a penalty kick in the 90th minute,” Andrew Britton, assistant coach, said.

The men played well offensively and defensively, which helped them get a tie.

“They are a well-organized team and the goalkeepers played well and the front line played great,” Andrew Britton said.

This was a hard and physical game between the Warriors and SBVC. Both teams combined for 24 fouls and three yellow cards were handed out during the match.

The yellow cards proved to be the biggest downfall in the game where the team had to call upon some inexperienced players.

“The toughest part of the game was missing key players and we had some young guys come in to try and hold a 1-0 lead,”  Britton said.

The team believes they can win if they continue to work on their fundamental skills.

“We need to take more of our scoring opportunity and our defense has improved, since our disastarous first game,” John Britton said. “We need to have our offense to score goals.”

The stars of the game were Aric Morales, defender, Michael Tostada-Moreno, midfielder,John Mota, defender/midfielder, Kelvin Alfaro, forward and Nolan Dean, goalkeeper.

“It was okay, we could have played better as a team,” Tostada-Moreno said.

Mota was lost in the 70th minute  after sustaining a sprained ankle which should keep him out for a week.

“The game was good, but I got hurt so it wasn’t great having to watch my teammates fromm the sideline,” Mota said.

The Warriors’ next game is tomorrow against Moorpark College at 3p.m. at Murdock Stadium.

“It’s our first home game and it’s against Moorpark, a physical team like us, so we won’t need to match their play,” John Britton, coach, said.

Wilfredo Figueroa and Nolan Dean have split time at goalie to start the first three games of the season and both have performed well at the position since losing 5-2 against Chaffey to start the season.

“We’ve used two goalkeepers and Nolan Dean made several game changing plays in the San Bernardino Valley game and he almost saved the penalty kick,” Britton said. “Figueroa has made several good saves for us especially in the Chaffey game.”

The men will look to practice more and finding more opportunities to get the ball in the back of the net.

They will also look to get better at closing out games and playing smarter soccer as the season progresses.