Water Polo teams look to contend in conference this season

The men’s and women’s water polo teams are looking to improve significantly this season.

The men’s team will be playing with 10 new players and without last season’s leading scorer, Noah Rubke.

“This team is significantly stronger and more balanced this season,” Corey Stanbury, coach, said. “Casey Boyce is a strong lefty and outside shooter.”

The team will also be look to replace the college’s all-time assists leader, Javier Molina who left the team after graduating.

“This team has a lot of balance, a good goalie and a lot of strong shooters,” Stanbury said.

The team has a total of five returning players who look to make an immediate impact for the team.

These returners are Erik Hernandez, Dennis Kalthoff, Felix Manriquez, Adam Moine and Reza Vahabnezhad.

“Erik Hernandez is a strong outside shooter and Dennis is a strong counter attack player,” Stanbury said.

The team will look to start off the season   with a win when they participate in the Santa Monica College Tournament tomorrow.

The women’s team will also be looking to leave last season behind after finishing with a 2-22 record.

The team is much larger this year and will suit-up a total of 18 athletes.

The team will be looking at top recruited, Alexis Solaro, to make an immediate impact for the team.

“She has outstanding shooting ability and very good defense,” Stanbury said.

Alongside Solaro,  returner Kirstie Wand, who set a school record last season, willl also be leaned on to have an impact for this team.

They will be joined by Ariel Carillo, Tamara Thebodeau, and Paige Canning.

“Ariel Carrillo is a good overall and shooter and Tamara Thebodeau is also a good all-around player,” Stanbury said. “Paige Canning is an outstanding defense.”

After being near the end of the pack last season the team is looking to make a move this season.

“I see us moving up several spots in the conference and winning more than ten games,” Stanbury said.

The team will begin its season when they go up against Rio Hondo College Wednesday at home at 3 p.m.

The women will look to start a new season are anxious to make up for a subpar performance last season.

“This team has a good attitude and solid water polo knowledge.” Stanbury said.