Volleyball team looks toward state

The women’s volleyball team has won eight conference titles in eight years, two of those years as state champions. With the 2011 season approaching, it looks to make it nine in a row.

The team went undefeated (14-0) in conference play last year and was named California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) South Conference Champions.

But after losing in the third round of regional playoffs to state champions Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC), the 2010 season came to an end with a 25-3 overall.

“Our first goal is to win our conference and once we accomplish that, we aim to win states,” Sarah McFadden, setter and a 2010 American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) second team recipient, said.

And with seven returning players and a few seasoned newcomers, the Warriors are confident that maturity will push them further than last year.

“Our goal, every year, is to make it to states,” Le Valley Pattison, coach, said. “I think this is a very strong team. Everyone knows their roles, so I look forward to see how they gel as a team and put it all together.”

The team’s offense is led by Kaitlyn Edwards, outside hitter, who averaged 2.95 kills a game along with twin sister, Lauren Edwards, middle blocker, who averaged 2.59 kills per game. McFadden was the team’s leader in assists (9.54 per game).

Last year, Kaitlyn Edwards was named to the AVCA first team while Lauren Edwards earned a spot on the AVCA second team.

“We work as hard as we can so we can accomplish our goals,” Kaitlyn Edwards said.

“We have more experience this year and will show leadership for the rest of the team.”

Adding to the list of sophomores is Hillary Murphy, outside hitter, Erika Wilvang, opposite hitter, Miranda Gagnier, middle blocker or opposite hitter and Zoe Pantera, libero.

“We were a younger team last year, but are more mature this season,” Pattison said. “We bring valuable experience to the team and are bigger and stronger this year.”

Pattison said a few newcomers are solid players and will help the team succeed.

Keely Stevenson, libero, will play her first season at EC after transferring from Northern Arizona University (NAU) where she ranked sixth in service aces (.30) in the Big Sky Conference.

Teuila Barnes, middle blocker, is returning to the Warrior’s line-up after taking some time off to fulfill a mission.

Ranked in the top 10, the Warriors look to defend their conference title and win a state championship.

“We got really far last year and grew as a team,” Gagnier said. “But this year we want to win it all.”

This season they will look to offset the departures of Kayelani Tanuvasa, an assistant coach for the team now, Donella Domenico(no longer playing) and Ashleigh Gideon who has transferred to Chapman

The season opened Wednesday against Santa Monica City College (SMCC).