After 5-2 loss men’s team ties Golden West; Women’s soccer team dominates

Michael Tostado-Moreno lined up for the penalty-kick, he took a deep breath and aimed his approach for the kick.

His shot was saved by the Chaffey goalie. This was just one sign of the men’s luck in route to a 5-2 loss to Chaffey last Tuesday.

“When we missed the penalty, it showed our luck was against us,” John Britton, coach, said. “It was just one of those games. We started the second half dominating but the missed penalty made our heads went down and they went up the field again and scored again.”

One of the two goals was scored on a free ball from Tostado-Moreno to Chris Marckstadt for a breakaway goal.

Humberto Villegas also scored against Chaffey.

“It felt good to get a goal in the back of the net and it was exciting to score the goal and we’re lucky to have Aric throw in the pass to me,” Villegas.

The team is looking to turn around from last season that ended with a 8-7-6 record.

The team will be looking at Aric Morales to be an offensive force and a leader on the team this season. The team will also be looking toward Zack Petow who received a concussion during the game.

“When you come into the season with the players that we recruited, we expect our offense to be pretty good,” Britton said. “We were able to score two goals and we missed a penalty and created other scoring opportunities which is good. Unfortunately, we thought we were stronger in the back but our defense let us down, not one player but as a unit the defense was very poor.”

The men’s soccer team came back with avengence and tied Golden West 0-0.

The men’s team is now 1-1 heading into its game against San Bernardino Valley College tomorrow at 5 p.m.

The women’s team has started its season defensive minded.

The team’s record is 3-0 and the women weren’t scored upon until Tuesday’s game against Golden West College.

The team started their season off with two shutouts against Chaffey College, 1-0 and Grossmont  College, 3-0.

“The team is progressing really well, we had most of them during our summer training. So, we were able to get most of them pyschically fit,” Jaymie Baquero, coach, said. “We’ve been working a lot defensively. We have some new players in the back, so we’ve been working a lot on our defense.”

Marilyn Cervantes and Shannon Hornbeck are  the returners who are being looked at to really step up from last season.

“Both of them played a lot of minutes last season,” Baquero said. “Shannon Hornbeck played a lot of minutes her freshmen year. So we will be expecting a lot from her.”

During the second half of the Grossmont game, it was evident that the defense will be one of the strong points of this years team.

“We kept the ball on their side of the field,” Baquero said. “We started playing as an entire unit, and we got everyone involved and played simple and kept possession. Even our substitutes that came on were able to continue that. While most teams die down in the second half we were able to turn it up, when most teams would slow down.”

The women’s team will be looking to continue its success tomorrow when they travel to San Bernardino College tomorrow. The game will be starting at 2 p.m.

Icthel Guzman was able to score two goals against  Grossmont.

“This team just needs to keep playing as a team and they need to do that enable to win and trust in each other,” Baquero said. “This team will be strong and they just need to continue to perform.”

This team will be looking to build on last season’s playoff run which ended in the second round.

“This team has 15 new players,” Baquero said. “It’s nice that this team is starting to get recognized and it feels good. This team deserves it and has been working really hard to get recognized and they are an awesome team.”