Women’s tennis team sweeps first round, fall in second round at Ojai

A cluster of tennis balls took over the courts of the Ojai Tournament this past weekend where the women’s tennis team held on to their rackets and hopes, as they all advanced to the second round.

“Players from all over the state play so it’s a very tough tournament, and if you can win one match you’re doing good,” Coach Steve Van Kanegan said.

Both men and women with different skill levels gathered at Ojai to face players from other colleges in both singles and doubles matches.

With the first round in their pockets the Warriors were looking forward to a second victory but unfortunately for the team none of thems were able to advance to the third round.

“They’re higher-level players, the doubles team that we played were actually a top team and they were really good” Jillian Dineros, 18, physical education major said.

Despite an injury Dineros was able to advance to perform well and play doubles during this tournament.

She sprained her ankle during a match against Cerritos College that would have qualified her for singles in regionals.

Still she says her performance was not affected by her injury.

“After the Ojai tournament, it really woke me up to how much better players other people are,” Dineros, said.

However, she is confident that together with, Cressan Delima, her doubles partner, she can give a good performance at regionals as a doubles player.

“(Playing at this Tournament) was different,” Mio Hosaka, 19, Business major said. “it’s more of an individual result, if you win you, get to go to another round and if you lose, you don’t play anymore.”

Hosaka also played doubles in the tournament together with Sara Carranza.

“Our toughest match was our second round match because I think the people we played were very strong,” she said. “They were from Irvine valley, and they’re known for their really good players so I think we were a little intimidated.”

With the Ojai tournament coming to an end, the women will once again be on the move and began to prepare for the regionals.

Along with the rest of the players, Hosaka will be moving on to regionals, and will play as both singles and doubles player.

Although proud of her performance at Ojai, she looks forward to developing her skills as a player before regionals.

“I saw a lot of different players from different levels,” Hosaka said. “And I saw a lot of players that were really good and made me open my eyes and realize that I should work for regionals.”

Lindsay Guardado, co-conference player of the year will also move on to regionals as both singles and doubles player; regionals will be played from May 5 to 7 in San Diego.

“We’re slightly above the middle of the pack at this point” Van Kanegan said. “They need to continue to just work on consistency and gaining confidence and that’s what we’re going to do in the next couple days of practice.”