Track and field team ready for South Coast Conference Finals

As the track and field teams stand at the threshold of victory, their whole season narrows down to the next few weeks.
Friday’s South Coast Conference Finals will determine who has the chance to survive among the best athletes in Southern California, and ultimately the state.
“I’m excited about conference and it’s my favorite time of the year,” assistant coach Kevin Hughley said. “I think this is when the kids get a lot of adrenaline and they look to do well and I’m as nervous as they are; it‘s the fun part of the season.”
Both the men’s and women’s teams have been practicing Monday through Friday throughout the semester.
“A lot of our points are going to come from the field events and the long distance runners,” Hughley said.
Multiple athletes compete in several competitions.
“Nobody goes in and says ‘oh I don’t care about the 100meter, I’d rather run the 200m’ or vice versa,” Hughley said. “Each event is an opportunity to continue.”
“I’ve been working since summer for this so I feel I’m ready,” Shale’ Garland said. “I want to see how fast I can run in the finals.”
Garland holds historical performance recognition at EC in the 100meter, 200m and the 400m this season. She also is ranked the fourth All-Time ECC Performer.
“I’m nervous because this is where everyone starts running their top speeds and I hope I could stay at the top and run faster,” Garland said.
Practicing on the weekends instead of just the regular days has really helped me get better, Garland said.
“I think it’s a little bit of self-confidence and discipline that you have to have and we talk about that going into the meet,” Hughley said. “If the teams run and perform as well as they have been practicing, then we’ll get their best.”