Men’s volleyball team gets eliminated from playoffs

A state championship was in sight but the Warriors came up four days short losing their first round playoff game against Grossmont College (GC) on Monday.

“At times we were great and other times not so great,” Richard Blount, men’s volleyball coach, said.

The Warriors had a commanding eight point lead in the first game but it quickly slipped away from them eventually losing 25-23. And the Warriors couldn’t regain confidence subsequently losing the next two games, 23-25, 18-25.

“We started crumbling,” Jonathon Pettit, libero said. “Our passing suffered, we couldn’t find any confidence and things went downhill from there.”

While the Warriors’ season fell short, five members of the team earned All-Western State Conference honors for their overall success as athletes this season. Pettit and Nick Dimarco, opposite hitter were selected for first team.

“I was so happy that me and Nick made first team,” Pettit said. “We have been playing together for so long and it was a good note to end on.”

Hunter Hovland, outside hitter, Spencer Fournell, middle hitter and Joseph Tanuvasa, setter, were named to second team.

“I was very excited to be named to second team as a freshman,” Hovland said.

The team also celebrated as Blount was awarded co-coach of the year.

“The kids tried hard all year,” Blount said. “I am so proud of them.”

The Warriors will take a little time off but will get back into the swing of things practicing once a week during the off season and strength training twice a week.

“I am looking forward to next year,” Hovland said.