Women’s tennis team cruises by Long Beach City College

Racquet in hand, the women’s tennis team walked with confidence into the court on Tuesday’s match to encounter Long Beach City College for the second time.

After having a day off, last Thursdays, the players were renewed and ready for a second victory.

“It was pretty much an easy win for us, we were expecting to win,” Cressan Delima, 19, business major said.

This time the team had a slight change in the lineup as the No.1 player had the day off and everyone moved one spot up, coach Steven Van Kanegan said.

Despite the change the team was able to win 8-1.

The No.1 singles is usually played by Linday Guardado who for this game handed her place to Carolina Mendoza.

“She played well, the woman she played was very consistent and she lost in a tie break so it was very close,” coach Van Kanegan said.

The next match will be at home and it will take place on Thursday against Mt. San Antonio.

This will also be their second match of the season against this team; unfortunately for them the last time the girls played against Mt. SAC they were unable to win.

However Coach Van Kanegan is confident in his team.

“I think they are (prepared) and they definitely are more motivated,” Van Kanegan said.

While some of the players agree with their coach others still see Mt.SAC as a difficult opponent to defeat.

“Long beach, their players are as experienced as we are so it was a really easy game, but Mt.SAC is more skilled and just stronger,” Mio Hosaka, 19, Bussiness major said.

The team is looking forward to its next match and hopes to be victorious.

“If the girls can defeat Mt. SAC then they are in a good position to contest for the conference title, if they lose then they are pretty much a second place team,” Van Kenegan said.