EC track & field team continues to shine at Long Beach City Invitational

It was just another day at work for the EC Track & Field team as the Warriors continued their hot streak doing well in various events at the Long Beach City Invitational at Veteran’s Stadium last Friday.

Myshauna Alexander, freshman, stole the spotlight as she won in the javelin throw with a distance of 136 feet 1 inch and also won the shotput throw with a 36 feet 5 inch; David Cardona, sophomore, and Jose Lezama, sophomore, continued their remarkable season as they won the 800 m and 1500 m respectively.

“If you can prepare and compete well under the most adverse conditions, then nothing is bad down the road,” Dean Lofgren, track & field coach, said. “We need to progress as the season goes on. That is our goal, to get better.”

This Saturday the men’s and women’s track and field teams will travel to Cerritos and Cal State Fullerton to compete at the Jack Rose CSULB Relays at Cerritos College and the CSU Fullerton Benny Brown Invitational.

Shale’ Garland, freshman who is ranked as one of the top competitors in the state, won both the 100 m and the 200 m recording state-leading marks in both with times of 12.05 and 24.28 respectively.

“Ultimately our goal is to be as best as we can be later in the championship meets,” Lofgren said. “The world around us is getting better and if we don’t improve along with them then we will get surpassed by other people”

Anthony Lewis, freshman, finished second at the 800m, seconds after Cardona came in first.

“I feel I did good, but there’s always room to improve,” Lewis said as he was referring to the Cerritos Invitational when he took part in the men’s distance medley team which held off Cerritos College and ran away with the win.

As the weather was not optimal for the past two meets, it didn’t matter for Cardona who was the state cross-country champion last year.

“I went out there and did a controlled run and set a pace,” Cardona said. “I didn’t want to push it too hard. It was raining.”

As the Warriors continue to have a very good season, Lofgren is looking forward to finishing it strong.

“It may not happen every week where we do well. It might up, peak, or valley but at the end of the season, we would like to go up,” Lofgren said.