Volleyball player spikes the competition

Ashleigh Gideon remembers the day she chose the power of her arm, over the power of her leg.
“I remember thinking to myself that I wasn’t going to play volleyball anymore,” Gideon said. “I couldn’t settle for that.”
Being a tri-athlete in high school, Gideon chose to play volleyball over soccer.
Originally planning to focus on academics in college, Gideon gambled and took the opportunity to play for the Warriors and couldn’t see it any other way.
At North High, she was named the MVP for her volleyball team and was named athlete of the year her senior year.
“Not everyone gets awards,” Gideon said. “It lets me know that I’m doing my job out there, and doing it well.”
Earlier this season she was named to the all-tournament team when they played in San Diego.
Volleyball has provided Gideon with a release from the every day life of a college student and the ability to just let loose.
Along the way she has met so many different people while playing in high school, club and in college.
“I’ve made life-long friends through this sport,” Gideon said. “It’s even taught me valuable life lessons.”
Gideon now leads the No.3 women’s volleyball team on its quest to the state championships.
“My main goal this season is to be the leader that I’m expected to be,” Gideon said. “I hope to be consistent and be the go-to player on the court.”
When games get close and things are a little shaky, Gideon provides relief and someone for her teammates to go to.
“Her personality makes her stand out,” Sarah McFadden, teammate, said. “She’s a funny girl and I’ll always remember her.”
Donella DiDomenico, team captain, said that Gideon always makes the players laugh when it’s needed most.
“We always have a good time together,” DiDomenico said. “But she is a great player and always comes in the gym wanting to win.”
Her determination and focus for winning has been shown throughout the season.
“Even with such a young team, our goal always remains the same, to win state,” Gideon said. ” With this team, we are well on our way.”
After losing to Pasadena City College twice last season, Gideon played while she was sick and helped lead the Warriors to sweep the Lancers in their first match earlier this season.
“I think our win over Pasadena was the most memorable moment so far,” Gideon said. “It was one of those games where everything was on point; everyone had their best games, so far this season.”
Along with playing sick, Gideon plays through it all, avoiding the trainer at all costs.
“Ask anyone, I hate the trainer. I’m not one to go get checked out,” Gideon said. “I’d rather just play through it and worry about the pain later.”
Following a simple quote from the movie “Cool Runnings” a teammate put up in the locker room has Gideon believing that it’s better to hurt now.
“Like Kaye Lani Tanuvasa put up on our wall in the locker room, ‘Pain is temporary, pride is forever’, ” Gideon said.
After this season, Gideon isn’t sure where her path will lead her, but she will be transferring to UCLA as a political science major.
She has high hopes to become a Bruin but is still unsure whether or not volleyball will be a part of it.
“I hope to get into the University of California Los Angeles,” Gideon said. “I’m not sure if volleyball will take me anywhere or if adversity will lead me down a different path, but I’m open to anything.”