Top runner voted athlete of the year

Placing first for the seventh consecutive meet, David Cardona was voted the South Coast Conference Athlete of the Year.
“It feels great knowing that all the hard work I put in is really helping and showing that I am doing really well,” Cardona said. “If anything, it is helping me do even better.”
However, Cardona wasn’t the only person to win. Dean Lofgren, coach, was voted Coach of the Year.
“Coach of the Year is simply a reflection of the team and how they developed and performed,” Lofgren said via e-mail. “I am fortunate to have such a nice, dedicated and talented group of hard working men and good students.”
The men’s team managed to stay ahead of L.A. Trade Tech and finished in third place.
In what was a very close race for second place, teammate Jose Lezama fell just one second short and finished in 3rd place.
“I was positive in every second of the race,” Lezama said. “It is very important, one can not miss a day of practice because while one is resting another team is getting better.
Helping the men’s team to its third place victory were Anthony Lewis who finished in 28th place, closely behind was Justin Caracoza in 44th and Alex Villaescusa in 61st place.
Although Cardona placed first this meet, he was experiencing more of a challenge than past meets.
“I was having a little trouble in the last two miles, I was feeling really tired,” Cardona said. ” It was probably because it has been a long season.”
In the 5,000m course, runners Naomi Altamirano and Andrea Webber finished in 54th and 98th place.
Even though the women’s team placed in 25th place, they have qualified to Southern California Championships as an at-large team.
Hoping to rank in second place, Cardona said the team is trying to run a smart race.
I’m really excited for the team, during practice I’m watching them get better and it’s really impressive to see that we have a chance.” Cardona said.
Lofgren said there is still more to come from the men’s cross-country team.
“We continue to improve as the season progresses and this Saturday was another huge step forward even knowing that we didn’t run as well as we are potentially capable of,” Lofgren said. “We hope even bigger and better things await us in the state meet.”