Men’s and women’s water polo teams both come out with wins

Led by Kristine Wand, the women’s water polo team broke its 14 game losing streak, when it defeated L.A. Trade Tech, 16-3 last Wednesday.
The men’s team also found itself making a big splash as well, when it defeated L.A. Trade Tech, 17-3.
Next up for the men is the Saddbleback College Tournament tomorrow and the women travel to Rio Hondo Oct. 27 at 3 p.m.
“The game against Trade Tech was a little different,” Noah Rubke said. “They’re a weaker team so our subs got a lot of plays, so it was good for them.”
Following their first victory, the women reverted back to losing, when they came out winless in the Citrus College Tournament.
The women lost to Santa Monica, San Diego Mesa, Rio Hondo and Pasadena.
“This wasn’t much of a test for us,” Corey Stanbury, coach, said. “For the men, we had second string and less experienced players play a lot.”
For the women the level of which they played really took a step in the right direction this weekend.
“While we were unable to win any games,” Stanbury said. “Our defense was much better and we played a coordinated offense that began to score goals by the last game against Rio Hondo.”
Earlier this year, Rio Hondo had beaten the women very easily. This time around it was a different story.
“This time our game against Rio Hondo was a tight contest throughout,” Stanbury said.
Against L.A. Trade Tech, Tara Yeno had four goals.
The women’s defense shined against Santa Monica, when they held them to only six goals.
Missing chances has hurt the women’s team.
“We were unable to capitalize on some opportunities that we had that would have made the score even closer,” Stanbury said.
For the men playing well for the entire game is something they’ve been focusing on.
“We need to be able to focus for four quarters to get a win,” Rubke said. “We’ve been practicing a different style of defense, so hopefully we can recognize when to use it to help us.”
Along with this victory, Javier Molina has moved within eight assists of tying the school record.