Warriors cruise to third straight win

Warriors defensive line was not about to back down to Golden West, Jr. Kaveinga’s interception and subsequent touchdown led them to a dominating 34-7 win.
“It felt good,” Kaveinga said of his 47 yard touchdown return. “I didn’t think I’d run it all the way back, when I caught the ball I looked for a corner and just ran.”
Led by Kaveinga, the Warriors forced four fumbles, earned four sacks and held the Rustlers to less then 10 rushing yards. Doug Scott also returned an intercepted pass for 46 yards.
“I thought we had control of the game, but that pick really jumped us back up again,” coach Featherstone said. “Defensively we were good all night.”
With a win Saturday, EC joins Bakersfield College, Cerritos College, Mt. San Antonio College and Pasadena College as the only undefeated teams in the Southern California’s National Division.
“In terms of throwing the ball we’re a little behind,” Featherstone said. Freshmen quarterback Omar Herrera completed 12 of 18 passes for 144 yards in his debut.
“He made a few mistakes early on, but then he turned around and played great after that,” Fred Peterson quarterback coach said. “Real solid.”
Taking advantage of Golden West’s turnovers, Herrera excelled in the rushing game, helping to gain 185 total yards. Leading the way was AJ Johnson earning 51 yards and a touchdown. Peter Walton and Hayward Gray also contributed 60 yards and a touchdown apiece.
Wide receiver Joshua Brinson led the passing game with 3 receptions for 79 yards.
Next, the Warriors take on Harbor College for the first time since 1988 this Saturday. The Seahawks are 2-1 entering the season and look to avenge their 42-25 rout 22 years ago.
“We’ve got our hands full with harbor; they’ve been dying to play us for years,” Featherstone said. “They’re real anxious for the opportunity.”
As EC prepares, coach Featherstone has made it clear that now is the moment to “watch ourselves” in order to reflect on the good and the bad and made the necessary adjustments.
“Starting this week everybody’s going to have 3 films on everybody so it’s easier to see the tendencies of each team,” he said.