Men’s and women’s soccer teams start off with winning records

With less than five minutes to go in the game, the women’s soccer team initiated a successful play that led to a win over Grossmont.
Midfielder Justine Zavala started the play by passing to forward Marilyn Cervantes, who then passed to forward Callie Sala, who then assisted in Venessa Reid’s game-winning goal.
It was enough to lead the women’s team to a 1-0 win over Grossmont last Tuesday in its home opener. This was the first win of the season and a rebound from a 3-1 lost to Chaffey.
“It was a great win for us and (it) was definitely needed,” women’s assistant coach Jaymie Baquero said. “It is always good when a team can bounce back from a defeat.”
The men’s soccer team is off to a 2-0 start for the first time in three seasons, following a 1-0 win over Chaffey with the only goal being scored by Alex Ochoa. In its home opener last Tuesday, the men’s team posted a 4-0 shutout win over College of the Desert.
“It’s a good start for us and we’ve played reasonably well and we’re happy with the progress we’re making and we’ve got a long way to go (in the season),” men’s coach John Britton said, referring to the 2-0 start for the men.
Forward Eduardo Bustos’ goal put the Warriors up 2-0 in the game with his goal against College of the Desert.
“It was a good play, my buddy Michael passed it to the cross-bar in the penalty box and I surprised two defenders and I scored the goal,” Bustos said.
The men’s and women’s soccer teams will visit San Bernardino Valley tomorrow. The women kick off at 2 p.m. and the men kick off at 4 p.m.
The men finished last season with a record of 6-10-5 and 3-6-5 in conference play and finished in sixth place. The women finished with a record of 11-9-1 and 8-6-0 in conference play finishing in fourth place.
Both teams are preparing for big games this season against tough teams.
“Cerritos and Mt. San Antonio are the top teams in the South Coast Conference and Long Beach is always a battle. L.A. Harbor is the cross-town rival and it makes for a big game,” Baquero said.
Both coaches want more scoring opportunities for their respective teams.
“We need to improve on being consistent, staying healthy and scoring more goals than the other team,” Baquero said.
Both coaches hope for a successful season for both teams.
“My expectations are high for this team; we have a solid group returning from last year and a good group of new recruits,” Baquero said.
Coach Brtitton said the South Coast Conference is the strongest conference in California.
“Everybody aims to win the conference and consistency is key for an inexperienced team,” Britton said.
Baquero agreed that the conference does pose a challenge for the women’s team as well.
“Cerritos, Mt. San Antonio and Long Beach are always tough,” Baquero said.
Both teams are confident for a successful season.
“We’re aiming to win the championship, but making the playoffs (are) the first goals for this team,” Britton said.
The men’s team have three returning players from last year’s team, defensive midfield Kevin Ingraham, out back Jose Ortega and defensive midfield Edgar Lopez. They have eight new players on the roster this season.
The women’s team have five returning players from last year’s team, Zavala, goalkeeper Alicia Sala, outside midfield Kiki Wilson, Soto and outside defender Raime Flamengo. They have five new players.