Petter prevails against Pierce

Eight scoreless innings came and went and neither pitcher had given up a run.
But in the top of the ninth inning ace pitcher Kyle Petter helped led off with a one-out triple that would eventually score the only run.
When Petter was up at bat, he seemed shaky, not knowing if he would change the course of the game. Petter then blasted a triple, which at first seemed like a bomb.
“Every time I went up to bat, I was trying too hard because I just wanted to do well and clutch up for my team,” Petter said.
Chris Vopinek followed with a fly ball, but surprisingly neither the Pierce shortstop, third basemen or left-fielder were able to catch it, so Petter ran home to score the tie-breaking run.
“It’s the luckiest hit I’ve ever gotten in my life, that somehow (the ball) fell,” Vopinek said.
The win gave the Warriors (29-9) the series to advance.
Petter had a complete game, allowing only three hits while striking out six batters.
“I just had to keep my cool and stay under control and let my defense play,” Petter said. “It was a great performance by my defense. Especially big plays like Josh Thompson, Vopinek and Garret Cooper. I can go all day mentioning everyone who was doing big plays for me.”
Petter is now 12-0 for the season.
“It was a well-played game,” coach Nate Fernley said. “I’m very excited for Kyle for the way he pitched and played today. It was an outstanding game on his part and the guys never gave up.”
In the bottom of the ninth inning after Petter had scored the only run of the game, Pierce attempted to rally back by leading off the inning with a single.
But the team fell short, making a mistake that it probably won’t forget any time soon.
The next batter hit to John Hein, who fielded the ball and tossed it to shortstop Jeff Miera.
As Miera tried to throw to first base, he was blocked by the baserunner who was thrown out by the umpire. The next batter grounded out, triggering a repeat of last week’s dogpile.
“It was well-played baseball all around and it was fun. You have to tip your hat to that pitcher (Pierce), he did a great job,” Fernley said. “We lost a game just like that three years ago in San Diego in the regionals with the same type of call, so I understand how they feel.”
On Friday, the Warriors opened the Southern Regional playoffs defeating Pierce 7-2 with a dominating performance by Andrew Pulido, who is now 7-4.
He struck out nine batters, allowed eight hits with no walks in a complete game.
“I like pitching in big games and this game, being the first of the playoffs, made me more excited than nervous,” Pulido said. “Pierce has some really talented players, so I was just trying to get them out and trusting my defense to do the rest.”
Vopinek went 2-for-4 with a single and a home run.
“It was the pitch I was looking for and I drove it,” Vopinek said. “Things really started to click when I started putting in extra work with hitting coach Tony Asara.”
Hein went 2-for-5 with a run scored and a two-RBI single to secure the win.
“When I stepped to the plate I heard Babe Ruth in my head, telling me how to approach the situation,” Hein said. “So I listened and hit a line-drive single to right field.”
The Warriors will host the Super Regionals. The first game is against Palomar College tomorrow at 11 a.m.
“Right after the last out, you start thinking about the game tomorrow,” Fernley said. “So tomorrow becomes more important.”