Badminton player takes pride in sport

Hard work, determination and a drive to persevere are all things Angie Hoang did not think would be a part of her personality.
“I probably wouldn’t have gotten into badminton if I hadn’t taken (Coach John Britton’s) class,” Hoang said.
Hoang, 23, undecided major, grew up in Torrance and attended North High School, where there was no badminton team.
“It was something I always had an interest in, but it was never at the forefront of my mind, it was just something that was a lingering thought,” Hoang said.
Her first experience with badminton took place in Vietnam five years ago.
Her cousin introduced her to the sport and the two played around just for fun.
“I thought it was fun, and that I’d really like to do this later on,” Hoang said. “I’ve always enjoyed badminton, I just never had the opportunity to play, there were no courts around and no one really plays it.”
John Britton, badminton coach, picked her out from a badminton class based on her athletic ability and her potential to play the game.
“Angie is a relative newcomer to badminton and she started the season being (really excited),” Britton said. “Even though she’s not won every game she’s played, she hasn’t lost any enthusiasm.”
Hoang progressed under the tutelage of Britton, moving from the No. 3 player on the team to the No. 1 player during her first season.
“It’s a tribute to her desire to get better and work on her game,” Britton said. “I think it’s tremendous.”
Playing under Britton has been a good experience for Hoang.
“(Coach Britton) has a wealth of knowledge,” Hoang said. “He played for a national team, so he definitely knows the technique and footwork (of the game).”
Playing both doubles and singles matches, Hoang specified that she really enjoys the team sport aspect of badminton.
“Not only do you get a good workout, but you get to know people,” Hoang said. “There are only a few teams (in our league), and it’s fun to socialize with everyone from your teammates to the competition.”
Hoang’s dedication and work ethic for the sport is admired not only by her coach, but by her teammates as well.
“She’s a great teammate. She tries really hard and cheers everyone when we’re playing,” teammate Maryam Ilkhani said. “She’s one of our best players.”
Her doubles partner, Mai Tram Nguyen, also praised her work ethic and ability to bring the team together.
“At practices she even works on her technique during our breaks,” Nguyen said. “She’s very determined and hard working and sets the standard for the rest of the team.”
Despite playing a relatively unpopular sport, Hoang still takes pride in what she does.
“I get made fun of all the time when I bring it up among my friends,” Hoang said. “I don’t care, I love it.”