Winning streak continues for women’s soccer team

Nobody thought the Warriors could top their latest victory over Cerritos. After facing Compton Friday, however, they were able to do just that. The Warriors won 4-0 and kept their playoff hopes alive.

“It was a great win for us to end the season,” coach Jaymie Baquero said.

The team finished strong, winning its final five games of the season and only losing one game in its last seven.

The biggest win came against Cerritos last Tuesday, the No. 2 ranked team in the state.

If the team makes the playoffs, its first game would be this Saturday, with their opponent yet to be determined.

“We had a great second half to the season and we played great together as a team,” Stephanie Hall, sophomore forward-captain, said.

The team struggled early on in the season to pick up wins, but that is now ancient history.

“If we played better (in the beginning of the season), we would definitely be in the playoffs,” Hall said.

The team dominated both sides of the ball.

The defense, arguably its best performance of the season, allowed just one shot on goal the entire game.

The offense, once again with a flurry of chances, took advantage by scoring four goals.

Alicia Sala, freshman goalkeeper and the starter, was out for the game.

“I got injured during practice. It’s just a bruise, so if we make the playoffs I think I can play.”

In her place was Natalie Soto, freshman, who usually starts at the forward position for the Warriors.

Soto had the lone save for the team. Brenda Magana, sophomore foward, finished the game as goalkeeper.

The defense simply did not allow Compton to do anything, preventing breakaways and containing Compton’s counterattack.

The Warriors’ goalkeepers barely touched the ball the entire game. Compton’s only shot on goal came in the first half. The Warriors were up 2-0 by then.

Freshmen forwards KayC Wharton and Justine Zavala both scored goal for the Warriors. Freshmen midfielders Percilla Herrera and LeAnna Timototeo scored goals as well.

Zavala and Timototeo both scored their goals in the second half.

The offense for the Warriors did well to compliment the defense.

“Our ball control was amazing, we again had trouble scoring, but we did a great job,” Baquero said.

Unfortunately Wharton, who scored at the very beginning of the game, injured her ankle when she and Compton’s goalkeeper went after the ball in the first half. Trainers helped her off the field. She did not return to the game.

The Warriors did their part to punch their ticket to the playoffs, and they hope to find out soon.

“If we do make it, hopefully we can get Sala and Wharton back, but all we can do now is just wait,” Baquero said.