Warriors dirt off their shoulders with a new beginning

If you are a Warriors baseball fan, you might remember the bittersweet and confusing ending that last season brought.

Despite the Warriors ending in a 3-way tie for 2nd place in the South Coast Conference, with an overall record of 27-15-1 and a 16-8 conference record, they fell short of making the playoffs.

“It was a weird tie-breaker situation, so that’s what kind of put us in the fourth spot,” coach Nate Fernley said. “So because of that, we missed the playoffs.”

But all of that has been put behind as EC looks forward to a much more successful season, opening their season against Rio Hondo today at 2 p.m. at Warriors Field.

“Talent wise, we are good to compete,” Fernley said. “If the players do that, this season will be successful.”

EC will have most of its power in starting pitcher and outfielder Kyle Petter, catcher Aaron Deguire, shortstop Jeff Miera, second baseman John Hein, and outfielder Josh Thompson who last season were all-conference players.

“I expect these guys to play hard and play this game the right way,” Fernley said. “If we do that, the results will take care of themselves.”

Petter, who last season was also an all-American, will once again be a huge asset to the team, not only on the mound, but at the plate as well.

He led the conference last season in home runs, with 10 bombs, 52 RBI’s and a .329 average. On the mound, he also led the conference in strike outs with a total of 97 in 84.1 innings.

“He’s an anchor in the middle of our lineup,” Fernley said. “I’m glad to have him back.”

The Warriors will also add two freshmen to their starting rotation with Nick Turner from Palos Verdes and Andrew Pulido from Torrance, who last year was honored with the Daily Breeze Baseball Player of the Year award.

“We are fairly young on the mound,” Fernley said. “They [Turner and Pulido] are going to play big parts on the mound.”

When asked what he expects out of the season, Fernley said that is tough to say but that every season requires effort and concentration.

“I think we have a chance to win conference, and I think we have chance to contend a state championship.”