Women Water Polo

Lack of a goalkeeper will do nothing to stop the ECC women’s water polo team from bringing home a win from their first game today. Head coach Corey Stanbury is “optimistic” about the group of women that El Camino has playing this year. “Erica Shaw is a strong return player and we are lucky to have her back” Stanbury says. Last year Shaw came close to the assist record for ECC with 28 and this year Stanbury believes she will definitely break it. “We also have Katie Sloss who was our number 3 scorer last year returning” Stanbury says. With these veteran players returning to anchor the team and strong competition in the South Coast conference it will be an interesting and close season for sure. “We are in a very tough conference with teams that will be tough as well” Stanbury says. With schools such as Mt. San Antonio and LA Valley as competition each game will be interesting and a close call. “Everyone is good and at the same level” and Stanbury predicts that with the help of both old and new players the team has a good chance this year. “Some players are coming from high schools and some just showed up for a class and didn’t know they would be playing water polo” Stanbury says. Each new player brings something to the table and will hopefully give the team depth and flexibility when it comes to subs and position coverage. “Overall we are very strong and will be strong throughout the season” Stanbury predicts. Even with the lack of a goalkeeper due to Erin Holder transferring schools coach Stanbury predicts that they will be able to overcome. “We will have to train one from scratch due to former players not being able to play this season” Stanbury says but he doesn’t see that as holding the team back. The first game is a home game scheduled for today against LA Valley at 3pm and according to the coach will be an “interesting and close” game that could go to either team.