Basketball team shoots for success

Returning just one player from last season is always a tough task, but Warrior men’s basketball coach Mike Fenison remains optimistic, heading into the season opener Nov. 7.
“It’s a tough conference, but this is a very confident team, and I think if we can gel quickly as a unit we should have a great season,” Fenison said. The Warriors compete in the South Coast Conference.
Eric Miles, a sophomore guard, is the only player returning from last season. Fenison said he is counting on Miles to provide leadership and experience.
“He’s been working very hard on his game, and helping the other guys out,” Fenison said.
Fenison also said that he is looking for Miles to either start or provide some star power off the bench.
Two key additions looking to make an impact are freshmen guards Isaiah Jenkins and Wendell Lee. Both players add size to the team and will be looking to provide both shooting and scoring.
Fenison believes the key for this team is going to be chemistry. “Players make the coach,” Fenison said. “The quicker these guys can learn to play with each other, the better.”
Last season, the Warriors finished third in conference play with a record of 13-15. Fenison said last season’s team worked very hard and couldn’t hold on in a few close games. He hopes with a fast-paced offense and a tough man-to-man defense, the 2009-10 Warriors’ can compete just as much as they have in previous years.
The Warriors have two big games this season, according to coach Fenison. Those games are against Los Angeles Trade Tech and Citrus College.
“The game against LA Trade Tech is the third game of the season, so I hope our guys are ready,” Fenison said
The conference games against rival Los Angeles Harbor are also games Fenison said should be big games. Regardless, he thinks all the games are just as important.
“We are taking it one game at a time,” Fenison said. “It’s going to take a team effort, and these guys are all working hard and believe in themselves, it should be a great team.”