Coaches look to fill in spots for upcoming season

This spring, the Warriors quarterback position will be a hard fought battle as a familiar name with an unfamiliar face steps onto the practice field.

Matt Simms, son of Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Phil Simms, will be competing for the starting quarterback position during spring practice.

Darrius Banks, a freshman from Culver City High School and fellow freshman Tyler Tuiasasopo, will be challenging Simms for the starting spot.

James Coy, last season’s quarterback, led the team to a 10-2 record, good enough to help the Warriors to win the National Division Central Conference championship and earn a trip to the playoffs.

The Warriors lost in the second round to College of the Canyons, 36-27.

Simms played at New Jersey’s Don Bosco Prep High School, where he was ranked the eighth best player in the state. He enrolled at EC after withdrawing from Louisville University, being unhappy with its football program.

Being the son of a well-known quarterback and having an older brother, Chris, playing for the NFL’s Tennesee Titans, the bar has been set high and expectations for Matt are high as well.

“Because of his father, I do believe that we are going to expect a lot from Matt, it’s the nature of the beast,” football coach John Featherstone said.

Spring practices are Monday through Wednesday from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for 14 weeks that will cover 24 practices over that time span.

Featherstone and his staff will have open practices for walk-on players, as well as coaches. The Warriors will play one game during the spring on June 1 at home.

The Warriors have 32 returning players for the 2009 season, which should help improve team chemistry.

Featherstone and his assistants have good relationships with the players, and do a good job of putting those players in a position to move on and play for Division 1 football programs.

In 2007, 35 players went on to play for Division 1 colleges, and 18 in 2008.

“We expect to have at least twenty division one prospects this year, move on to play for the colleges of their choice,” Featherstone said.

Defensive line coach Ken Talanoa, a former Warrior defensive end, said he believes that what you apply on the practice field will carry over into the games.

“I am really big on practice and motivation. My job is to bring the best out of my players and that starts in practice during the spring,” Talanoa said.

Talanoa was a player at EC and Arizona State, then spent 12 seasons in the NFL playing for the Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos. He also played nine years in the Arena Football League for the Chicago Rush, San Jose Sabercats and Colorado Crush.

“I really consider myself a players’ coach, because I have been where these players are trying to go,” Talanoa said. “I was once just like them, so any type of advice I can give, or just sitting down with our guys listening to their problems can really be helpful.”

Some of the Warriors are working just as hard off the field as they are on the field.

Sophomore running back Ken Ashley, who sat out all of the 2008 season with a shoulder injury, has turned his focus toward improving his study habits and becoming more of a scholar.

“I want to work on my discipline when it comes to class work,” Ashley said. “I think that will help me in the classroom and translate onto the playing field.”

Fullback Tony Sekona is one of the bright spots for the Warriors during the offseason.

Last season, Sekona averaged more than five yards per carry and is looking to improve upon his skills.

“I’m looking to improve on my speed this spring,” Sekona said.

“If I do that, hopefully I will get more carries this season and a chance to help the team even more.”

Despite the success in the past, the players and coaches believe that this could be one of the best football team EC has ever had.

“We definitely have the talent to do some special things this season,” Featherstone said.

“How bad they want it will be up to them, and how hard they work on and off the field will show me how dedicated they are to make a championship run.”