EXTRA POINT: Warriors’ season filled with great accomplishments

As the sun sets on another semester, we here at the Union will like to pay homage to the student athletes and coaches who made it worthwhile to write about sports all year long.
The stories that were written exemplified courage and a willingness to win despite the odds that our Warrior teams had to face.
No matter what the overcome was at the end of the season, we should be proud of the future of our athletic programs.
Although the historical moment came during winter vacation, the women’s volleyball team won its first state championship in more than 24 years, and the team was impressive, sweeping through its conference on its way to the title.
We would also like to extend our congratulations to the men’s basketball team for making the playoffs for the first time in more than 20 years.
Even though the team was defeated in the first round, it gave another athletic team a solid foundation to build from for the next few years.
The most inspiring team or teams of the season are the teams that were affected by the construction on campus.
Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams and the softball team had to endure an entire season of playing their games at alternate sites.
In addition, the women’s tennis team lost a key player at the beginning of the season.
The baseball team made a valiant run this season, making the playoffs, but losing in the first round to southwestern.
Finally, two freshmen shot putters made an assault on the record books in that event. Ne’i Leni and Jacob Weintraub made their marks that capped off the year in review.