Wijratne aims to keep streak alive at state championships

Shuttlecocks once again fell right for No.1 badminton player Pavithra Wijratne as she won all of her matches last Friday at Pasadena to secure the top seed in the South Coast Conference championship match.

Wijratne will take her No. 1 seed with her to the state championships at Skyline College this weekend.

“Pavithra is seeded No. 3 in the state, and I think she may very well finish at her seed,” John Britton, coach, said. “With a little luck, she can get past the semifinals and do something special.”

Along with her individual victory, Wijratne competed in doubles with teammate Samira Yakubu.

Although they were able to make it to the semi -finals, they couldn’t manage a win and fell to Pasadena’s No. 1 doubles team.

“The team that Pavithra and Samira lost to was a team that they had beaten earlier in the year,” Britton said.

The loss, although disappointing, was a good experience for the young doubles team heading into state championships.

“I know that both the women were disappointed,” Britton said. “Even though they lost, they’ll be participating in the state championship doubles match.”

Lisa Harris is one of the players who didn’t make it to the state championships, seeing her season end in Pasadena last Friday.

“I did all right in my matches at Pasadena, but sadly the season is all over,” Harris said. “The season has been great.”

Wijratne and Yakubu will be the only badminton players representing the Warriors at the state championships, but they’ll have the support of their teammates who will not be in attendance.

“She’s going to go all the way and win it,” Harris said

Wijratne had a week off in order to prepare for her matches at the state championships and she will have the opportunity to perform over the course of the two-day event.

“(Wijratne) has been practicing very hard this week,” Britton said, “I think she will do very well.”