Men’s team beats Long Beach, gains confidence for next game

Rebounding from a disappointing loss last week against Mt. San Jacinto, the men’s tennis team dominated Long Beach, 6-1, Tuesday.

With an upcoming match against the always tough Riverside today, the men believe that they need this win to get their confidence up.

“Riverside is one the strongest ranked teams,” coach Steve VanKanegan said. “They are strong all around.”

Desperately needing a boost in morale after seeing top player Tsuyoshi Nagaoko fight through two cramps to complete his match last week, the men wiped out the opposition with ease.

“It was a pretty easy match; there wasn’t much to do,” Keith Bogger, the No. 3 player, said. “We were always up; I didn’t see any low points.”

Tsuyoshi performed injury-free, winning 6-4, 2-6, 6-4. Boggero won 6-2, 6-0; Sean Novin won 6-2, 6-0; Chris Bohlmann lost the only game, 6-0, 6-7 (10-0) in a tiebreaker. Tim Kang won his match, 6-4, 6-2 and rounding out the team was a win by forfeit to Ryota Fujimoto, 6-3, 3-0.

“They just had fun out there,” VanKanegan said. “It was pretty much what I expected; we continue to get better.”

Team captain Clark Coble was afflicted with a cold but still managed to play in doubles and won his match.

“Tsuyoshi had no problems with cramps, but we gave him plenty of liquid,” VanKanegan said. “Clark had a little bit of a cold; we didn’t let him in singles; he just recuperated on the sidelines.”

Having their team captain sidelined did not seem to affect the men’s performances against what ended being a very weak Long Beach team.

Nagaoko had a dominant performance that had a boosting effect on the men.

“Looking at the team, Clark being sick could have affected us, but they were not that good of a team so it didn’t affect us,” Boggero said. “Tsuyoshi seemed to be on his game today; he looked like he was fine; he always does everything exceptionally well.”

As for the actual match itself, the team not only won, but it showed signs of consistency and improvement, as each one of the individual players dominated their opponent, even during the only match that was lost during the game.

“We had improvements in Tsuyoshi’s mental game; Sean’s improved on consistency,” VanKanegan said. “Aside from that, everyone has remained the same consistency.”

Each player for the men’s tennis team performed well against his opponent and managed to force the Long Beach players to commit the type of errors that in turn have been a season-long problem for the Warriors.