Extra Point: Freshman shot putter poised to set new EC record.

Every semester there is an athlete who breaks into the EC record books. This year isn’t an exception. Freshman shot putter Na’I Leni, from Carson High School, has been setting records that have moved her up little by little in the EC record books. With just a few collegiate meets under her belt, Leni has is already second on the college’s all-time list.

During her first performance at Santa Ana, Leni’s shot put throw was 41 feet, 8 _ inches. At the USC Invitational, Leni improved to 44 feet, 2 _ inches. At the most recent meet, the UC Irvine Collegiate Classic last Saturday, Leni improved her throw to 45 feet, 2 « inches.

This puts Leni just two feet shy of setting the all-time EC record. Such great performances by freshman athletes don’t occur every year.

The achievements obtained so far by Leni reflect both the talent that she has brought to the EC sports program and the commitment and dedication from coach Dean Lofgren and his coaching staff to developing competitive student athletes.

Lofgren believes that there is a very good probability that she will establish a new record and do so soon.

“I am trying to set a new school record during my first year,” Leni said after her performance at the USC Invitational. Her attitude and talent will make it very likely that she will reach her objective.

As one of co-sports editors, I want to see Leni break the record. It would not just be a great accomplishment for her, but it will be a historic moment for the EC community who would witness history in the making.

It isn’t every year that a staff writer covers a championship team or a record-setting athlete. It would be great if this was one of those years.