Men’s volleyball team answers call

With back-to-back wins against L.A. Pierce and Moorpark last week, the men’s volleyball team is feeling good heading into what it believes is its biggest game of the season tomorrow at home against Santa Monica.

“Moorpark was a big win for us,” Ricki Garma said. “Last year, we lost some tough games on the road, so it felt good to get that one.”

The Warriors (7-3, 2-1) won the first game of the match on Friday night against Moorpark, 30-24, losing the second, 23-30, and the momentum seemed to shift in their direction after that.

“We played a little too relaxed,” Garma said. “The loss of the second game was kind of a wake-up call for us to go after it.”

The Warriors proceeded to win the next two sets 30-27, 30-20 en route to a four- set victory.

Middle blocker Randall Maryott led the team with 10 blocks and outside hitter Kevin Downing added in 22 kills in a game that coach Richard Blount was ecstatic to win.

“It was a huge win for us; we really needed that one to help us along this season,” Blount said.

Members of the team said that they won’t settle for an average finish this season, and they have their goals set on winning a league championship.

While the championship is still about a month away, the Warriors are in prime position to make a run at the conference title.

“If we just play hard and get rid of the errors from week to week, we will have a chance to win it all in the end,” Garma said.

The Warriors have been working on blocking all week in preparation for tomorrow’s home game against Santa Monica.

“It is going to be a huge game,” Blount said. “Santa Monica is good and it should also be a very physical game.”

Santa Monica comes into the game with a 4-4 overall record and 1-1 a conference record, and it is looking for a big win: Blount believes that Santa Monica is better than their record.

“We need to bring our ‘A’ game if we have a chance to win,” Blount said. “We really need to play well.”