Women’s volleyball team tastes agony of defeat

Until recently, the women’s volleyball team had a record as spotless as its uniforms. However, the Warriors experienced their first taste of defeat in the San Diego Mesa Tournament, but they hope to rebound in their first conference game.

In the tournament, EC was ranked No. 2 and went undefeated in pool play, beating Moorpark and Glendale, before losing to the No. 1 seed Delta; 25-21, 25-15, 15-8.

The team had some great individual performances from sophomore Beverly Hazell and freshman Kacey Martinez, who were both named to the all-tournament team.

After seeing how they did in the tournament, the Warriors hope they can continue improving.

The Warriors know they have to fix some of the weaknesses they saw in their play in order to become one of the more dominant teams in their league.

“We’ve got a couple of months yet to iron the kinks out,” assistant coach Richard Blount said

Even though the Warriors’ record will remain 7-0 for the regular season, this tournament will most likely bump the Warriors from No. 1 in the state to No. 2, coach Le Valley Pattison said.

“It’s a good wakeup call,” Blount said.

The next match that the Warriors are looking forward to is tomorrow’s game at Pasadena City.

The team is not worried about its game with Pasadena and will focus more on its own progress this week in order to improve conditioning.

“It’s more of a ‘work week’ instead of ‘getting ready for a game week,'” Pattison said.

To improve on what they’ve already done this season, the team needs to come into games with a “killer instinct” instead of playing down to its

opponents, Blount said.

So far, the Warriors have not faced any opponents in their conference. Pasadena will be the first of a string of 12 opponents from their conference.

“We like to go into every game with the same mindset,” Jenna Lofstrom said. “We’re going to work hard all through the week.”

Last tournament, the Warriors were doing well and beat Moorpark 31-12, 30-20, 30-24 and beat Glendale 25-22, 25-17, until they faced Delta.

They lost the first game, 25-21, but stayed in the match and took one game with a score of 25-15. However, they lost the last game 15-8, and Delta took the match.

“We caught on to the level of play that they executed,” Blount said. “I think what we did was we woke them up.”

After the Warriors fell behind in the final game against Delta, they could not catch up.

“In a game to fifteen, you don’t have the time to recover,” Blount said.

The Warriors hope to learn from their first loss this season.

“It gave us a chance to get together as a team and figure out what we need to do,” Lofstrom said. “We had a lot of games where we played steady and consistent.”