Winning streak slows with two consecutive losses

It is said that defense wins the game, but this was not the case with the men’s soccer team this past week.

The men’s soccer team will be playing their last home game against Golden West College on Friday at 4 p.m. at Murdock Stadium.

“It will be a tough game, but we know we can pull out a win,” coach Vic Cafarchia said. “This is going to be our last non-conference game before playing Mount San Antonio College.”

Last Monday, the Warriors lost a tough game against L.A. Mission College and were unable to score any goals. The men were defeated, 1-0.

The only goal the Warriors allowed was a corner kick by one of the L.A. Mission College players. The soccer ball passed through the hands of the goalkeeper.

“We should have won the game; our defense was playing very well. It was small mistake that cost us the game,” Cafarchia said. “But we need our offense to step it up. We need to score in order for us to win games.”

A major weakness the Warriors encountered was that they did not take advantage of every chance to score.

“We had great opportunities to score goals; I had some open shots as well but I could not capitalize on my open shots,” forward John Massaquoi said. “We need to step it up in order for us to win games.”

The Warriors also lost a tough match against College of The Desert last Friday; the Warriors were held scoreless throughout the game. The defense played well, only allowing one goal.

It was the Warriors’ second consecutive home game loss. The Warriors have been left scoreless in both games.

“We could have won both games against College of the Desert and L.A. Mission; our offense is just not clicking at the moment,” coach John Britton said. “Our defense is what is keeping us in the game.”

The Warriors record thus far is five wins and three losses. The team’s fifth win came in the hands of Oxnard College last Wednesday.

Thundershowers caused a cancellation of Tuesday’s home game against Fullerton College. The match was postponed for yesterday, but scores were unavailable upon press deadline.