Preseason ends; women remain optimistic

As the preseason comes to a close, the women’s soccer team will try to put its 3-5-1 record behind and prepare for the tough season ahead, which begins with its first conference game against Mt. San Antonio College, Friday, Sept. 30.

The women’s last three preseason games have shown that regardless of the game’s outcome, their efforts have improved greatly.

“We are working more as a team and we are really growing,” said freshman Erica Esquivel.

In the Sept. 14 game against Oxnard College, the women managed to pull off a 3-0 win. Freshman Samira Yakubu scored all three goals, with all three assists coming from sophomore goalkeeper and forward Shawna Alyea.

“It’s great that switching Shawna from goalkeeper to forward is paying dividends,” said coach John Britton. “She has scored and is laying on some goals.”

In last Friday’s game against Grossmont College, the Warriors were defeated 4-3. Alyea, Yakubu and sophomore Alexis O’Neill scored the three goals. Unfortunately, it was not quite enough to pull the win.

“Now that we are scoring goals, we have to work harder on defense because we are giving up goals a little bit easier than we should,” Britton said.

In Monday’s final preseason game against L.A. Mission College, the women won 4-0, as goalkeeper Emily Rodin notched her first shutout of the season.

“I think we need to work harder together as a team,” said Yakubu. ” We are improving but we need our defense to stay with our mark and we need our offense to just put the ball in the net.”

Although the team has a bye this week, its season opener will be a tough one against the undefeated Mt. San Antonio College. The Warriors’ game following that will be against No. 1 ranked Long Beach City College on Tuesday, Oct. 4.

“I’m pleased with our improvement and the efforts (have) been great from the women all year,” Britton said. “We are getting better and beginning to work as a team.”

With a tough road lying ahead, the women will have to practice hard and prepare themselves. However, Britton is optimistic.

“It’s going to be hard but we will do our best.”