Men’s cross country strides to first place

Being only the second meet of the season, the Warriors had their first victory of the season in the L.A. Trade Tech Invitational.

“We had a solid controlled effort from most of our athletes throughout the meet,” coach Dean Lofgren said.

“We do see the need for someone to step up in order for us to be a solid team to contend.”

Next stop for the Warriors will be at Central Park in Huntington Beach for the Golden West Invitational Saturday morning.

“This Saturday will be a tough meet, because we are going up against Mount San Antonio College, who finished third overall in the state last year, and state champ American River College,” Lofgren said.

The Warriors are to compete against colleges such as L.A. Trade Tech, Oxnard, Moorpark, and Long Beach at this Saturday’s tournament.

“It should be a very tough meet this Saturday because we are going up against some stiff competition, especially Mount San Antonio College,” said Daniel Villanueva

Last Saturday, the Warriors went to L.A. Pierce College for the L.A. Trade Tech Invitational.

The Warriors came out doing very well by finishing first place, with L.A. Trade Tech also finishing first with 35 points each.

“Our intent for this meet was not to get out hard and run from the front as we did last Friday,” Lofgren said. “Although if we had run from the front we might have finished a point or two higher in team scores.”

The Warriors were led from their No. 1 runner Jason Hanakeawe, who finished third placed overall, in the four-mile run with a time of 22:40, just 12 seconds behind winner Juan Valencia from L.A. Trade Tech.

“We did well by placing first overall as a team, but we know we can do much better,” Hanakeawe said. “It is nice to see that all the hard work has paid off this summer. It is good feeling to know I am the number one runner for this team.”

Following Hanakeawe was Villanueva who finished fourth place in the four-mile run with a time of 22:51.

Tyler Stover finished fifth placed with a time of 22:53. Jonathan Yi finished eighth place with a time of 23:10.