V-ball finishes first in SoCal

After taking first place in the SoCal Invitational Tournament last week, the women’s volleyball team looks forward to a season that it thinks can improve on its one-loss season last year.

Despite the success of last season, coach Le Valley Pattison sees room for improvement.

“I think we have the potential to be better. I don’t know if we’ll be as successful with the win-loss record, but we have a lot of really solid athletes,” she said.

Even though the Warriors have lost some crucial players from last year’s team, including two top blockers, they believe they can top last year’s performance.

“We did have a great team last year, and we did lose three main starters,” Beverly Hazell, sophomore, said.

“I think that the new freshmen fill those voids that they left and that we’re going to be as strong as we were last year,” she said.

The Warriors have gotten off to a strong start winning all seven matches in last week’s SoCal tournament.

They defeated Santa Barbara City College 20-25, 25-15, 15-11.

Sophomore Taryn Tamblyn was awarded MVP of the tournament as she led the team to victory with 52 digs.

“When everyone does their job, it makes mine that much easier,” Tamblyn said.

The entire team got a chance to play at the tournament and showed that it has the chance to be just as strong as last year.

“Everybody got a lot of court time, and we saw some solid performances,” Pattison said.

Behind the attacking of Hazell, Andrea Hernandez and Lindsey Spainhour had a combined 108 kills, the Warriors rolled over the opposition and showed they could live up to last year’s performance.

“Our sophomores are doing a good job leading, and they bring the experience of winning,” Pattison said. “It’s hard to teach someone how to win if they don’t know how to win.”

Yesterday, the Warriors played Ventura; however, scores were unavailable at press time.