Men swimmers finish in top 20 at state finals; women finish in top 25

It was all smiles when it avoided the rain, but it turned into tears for the men’s and women’s swim teams as the season came to an end at the state finals.

The Warriors had a strong showing last week at Diablo Valley when the men finished in the top 20 and the women finished in the top 25.

“The majority of the swims we had were improvements from the conference finals,” coach Corey Stanbury said. “It was a pretty good finals for us.”

The best result for the Warriors came from diver Wendell Perkins who finished third in the 1-meter dive and second in the 3-meter dive; Perkins was a favorite to win both events after a strong showing all season long and at the diving championships.

“Wendell was a little off in the three-meter dive, but the diver from San Diego Mesa (who placed first) was on fire,” Stanbury said. “The diver who won the one meter was impressive; Wendell has never dived against him before.”

The top swimmer was Daniel Fung, who placed in the top eight in all three of his races: 200-meter IM, 400-meter IM and 200-meter butterfly.

“Daniel swam well for us, along with (Heather) Mohle; they scored the majority of the points for the team,” Stanbury said.

One of the factors expected at finals was the rain, but it was nowhere to be found which made it easier on most of the swimmers.

“It ended up not raining and that helped us out a lot in our swims,” Stanbury said.

This year’s finals were one of the best that Stanbury has ever seen and he said he was impressed at the times the swimmers managed to finish with.

“The times all around were fast, even times in the bottom half (8-16) were some of the fastest that state ever had,” Stanbury said.

With the state finals coming to an end, so did a strong season by the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams.

“As a whole, we did some pretty amazing things this year,” Stanbury said.

Highlights include Perkins breaking two records in diving and Fung breaking an EC record in the 200-meter individual medley.

Other swimmers, including Mohle, Matt Briggs, Matt Pifer and Ashley Stanbury, turned in one of the fastest swim times that their coach has seen.

“People swam up to their potential, while some went beyond that,” Stanbury said.

Most of the swimmers will not be back next season, but strong swimmers such as Fung and Mohle will be returning to try and lead the swimming squad.

“We’ve got a pretty good core of people returning, a good team to build around next year,” Stanbury said. “We just have to see what we get from the high schools next year.”