Track runs strong

Consistency has been present during every meet of the men’s and women’s track and field season, which continues to conquer the top five positions at invitationals.

Saturday, the team will head to Long Beach at 10 a.m. for a mini meet. Among the competing colleges will be Victor Valley, Antelope Valley, Long Beach City, Citrus and San Bernardino.

“This Saturday is going to be a very competitive meet at Long Beach,” coach Dean Lofgren said. “There is going to be stiff competition, such as Riverside, Long Beach, and San Bernardino.”

Saturday, the team went to the CSU Northridge Invitational.

The Warriors gave a stellar performance, even though they competed in limited action.

Lamar Taylor placed first in both the 200-meter at 22.51, and the 400-meter at 49.91, a personal best.

Roy Alugbue also ran in the 400-meter in heat one and placed first with a personal new best time of 48.52, ranking Alugbue second in Southern California.

“I was so stoked about hearing I did a personal best time in four-hundred,” Alugbue said. “I was kind of shocked hearing that I’m the second fastest in Southern California in the four-hundred.”

For the women, Shammer Dawson finished first in the 200-meter, but teammate Star Thurman didn’t have her best performance as she finished fourth in the triple jump, and eighth in the long jump.

“I didn’t do so well,” Thurman said. “I was really disappointed in my performance; I wasn’t really feeling it.”

Stephanie Robbins was satisfied with gaining confidence from the meet.

“I gained a lot of experience because I competed against division one and two schools,” Robbins said. “It also pumped me up for my next meet.”

Last Thursday, the Warriors traveled to Long Beach for the South Coast Conference meet.

The team finished third with 128 points behind Mt.SAC 138 and Cerritos 145.

“It was a very competitive five-way conference meet.” Lofgren said. “The top four teams in this meet are among the top seven teams in all of Southern California, so we knew it would be very competitive.”