Youth, inexperience affects Warriors’ game

After a series of long, tiring road trips, the men’s volleyball team will now have the chance to play at home against L.A. Pierce College tomorrow at 6 p.m.

Despite their best efforts, the Warriors lost after five games against Palomar Friday 25-22, 22-25, 25-22, 21-25, 15-5.

After facing L.A. Pierce, the Warriors will play at home against Moorpark on Wednesday at 6 p.m..

“We made too many errors in the fifth game. We have some good individuals, but bad team performances,” coach LeValley Pattison said. “Alec Gilliland, Ryan Hall and Jonathan Arakaki all played really well and showed great talent.”

Against Palomar, sophomore Arakaki led the team with 24 assists and seven kills, Gilliland had eight kills, while Hall contributed six digs and seven kills.

“We should have won, but we made a lot of errors in the fifth game,” Arakaki said.

The Warriors also lost their game against Orange Coast Wednesday 17-25, 25-23, 25-22, 14-25, 13-15.

Despite the struggles that come with having a rookie team, with the exception of Gilliland, Hall and Arakaki, there have been improvements during every game.

“We are getting better, but unfortunately, so are the other teams,” assistant coach Richard Blount said.

The Warriors hosted San Diego Mesa yesterday, but scores were unavailable at press time.

The team will play again tomorrow against L.A. Pierce, which in the past has won the state championships four years in a row.

“It’s always an advantage to play at home,” Pattison said. “Even though we haven’t taken the opportunity to capitalize on it yet.”

“L.A. Pierce is always a very good team, but we did beat them last year,” she said.