Men lose conference game at Cerritos

Even though tennis is predominantly an individual’s game, there is the ever important team aspect that cannot be ignored or pushed aside.

That team aspect is doubles, and that is where the men’s tennis team, (4-2, 2-1) faltered Thursday enroute to its first South Coast Conference loss at the hands of the Cerritos Falcons.

Following its loss, the team will look to rebound against the usually tough Mt. San Antonio College Mounties today at home in a postponed match from the rained out Feb. 17 game.

“We shouldn’t have a problem with them,” assistant coach Adam Von Arx said. “A win will help get some confidence back.”

The match will close out the first half of the men’s conference schedule and a win would put them at 3-1 and still in the hunt for the conference championship.

“We’re expecting a good game from Mt. SAC,” coach Steve Kanegan said.

Despite the difficult match that awaits them, the warriors might be overlooking the Mounties toward a possible conference championship.

“If we can beat them, it leaves just Cerritos as the team to beat,” Von Arx said.

During the Cerritos game, the team lost all three of its doubles matches.

The team lost four of six in the singles matches, resulting in a 7-2 loss.

“We were outplayed and they seemed more prepared,” Von Arx said. “We were out-classed in doubles.”

Doubles, which has been the team’s stronghold in its first two conference wins, will be its focal point in practice in the coming weeks.

“We are going to continue to work on doubles,” Kanegan said.

A loss is usually detrimental to a team’s psyche, but has had an opposite effect on the Warriors, who have not had that sour taste in their mouth since its Feb. 1 loss to Orange Coast College.

“We thought we could have beat Cerritos,” Von Arx said. “Even though we lost, we don’t get down. We just want to improve our game.”