Athletes’ performance places them in top ten

Even though the Warriors ran against potential Olympians last Saturday, they came out with a solid performance, in the Long Beach relays.

The Warriors also showed what home field advantages is all about by capturing first in the South Coast Conference mini meet at EC Thursday.

Saturday, the men’s and women’s track and field team will compete at the Bakersfield Relays.

“It’s a large meet like the one in Cerritos,” coach Dean Lofgren said. “There will be some very good races on Saturday.”

Relay teams and all the competitors in field events are still to be determined.

Both of men’s and women’s track and field teams competed last Saturday, at the Cal State Long Beach Jack Rose Relays.

In the CSULB relays, both the men’s and women’s track and field team came out doing well overall in the invitational, even though there was stiff competition, from universities USC, UNLV, LMU, and Cal Poly Pomona.

“It was good opportunity to go down there and competed against very excellent athletes,” Lofgren said. “It was a nice experience.”

The men’s sprint medley relay team of Emmit Karlay, Roy Alugbue, Lamar Taylor and Bill Rogers placed third with a time of 3:33.95.

In the men’s 5,000 meters, Sal Bautista captured third with a time of 1:29.68. Jason Hanakeawe, with his first ever run in the 5,000 meter, finished fourth with a time of 15:41.45.

“It was like a marathon,” Hanakeawe said.

In the men’s 200 meter relay, the team of Karlay, Alugbue, Taylor, and Richard Perkins earned third place with a time of 1.29.68.

In the men’s high jump, Alugbue finished fifth with a leap of 6-5.

In the women’s 800-meter relay, the team of Lindsay Brown, Dinora Moran, Evelyn Lopez, and Cora Webber earned second place with a time of 10.02.98

Also in the women’s sprint medley relay, Star Thurman, Danyelle Meniefield and Gabrielle Meniefield and Shammeer Dawson captured fourth place with a time of 1:51.91.

They also finished fifth in the 200-meter relay with a time of 1:46.97

“It was really competitive out there,” Dawson said., “but it was also exciting competing and watching all these future Olympians from USC.”

In the field events, Thurman earned third place with a leap of 35-8. In the shot put Stephanie Robbins finished third with a throw of 40-8 3/4.

After a solid performance at the Cerritos Invitational, the Warriors gave another good performance last Thursday when EC hosted a meet.

“They were fired up because it was their first home meet,” Lofgren said. “They have been training hard since September of last year.”

Both the men’s and women’s track and field team, showed that hard work and dedication pays off. They finished first the meet with combined points of 454 1/2.

The men’s track and field team finished well ahead of its competition, with a total of 217 points.

In the men’s high jump, the Warriors came out with a clean sweep, with Filmore McLaurin finishing first with a leap of 6-10; in addition, Roy Alugbue and Damian Bauchman came in second and third with place jumps of 5-10.

Alugbue also captured first in the 100 meters with a time of 10.9, and came in first in the 200 meters at a time of 22.1.

In the 800-meters, Bill Roger came in first with a time of 2:02.4.

Kendall Lopez finished first in the 3000 meters at a time of 9:44.07.

“We have a large and solid group of men and we knew they would do well,” Lofgren said, “even though most of our men are new to the team.”