Water polo team’s nowhere near the playoffs

Men walked away with one win and manage to finish in sixth place at the Southern California Tournament on Nov. 4

The Warriors defeated L.A. Trade Tech 7-4 but they lost to Cerritos and Chaffey 15-4 and 7-1 respectively.

The men played teams that they had not been able to beat during the regular season but managed to defeat L.A. Trade Tech.

“We were the seventh seed going in the tournament and we came in sixth place where we were not supposed to be,” coach Corey Stanbury said. “We were able to beat L.A. Trade Tech whom we had not been able to beat the whole season.”

“We played brilliantly in the tournament,” Stanbury said. “Our last game against Chaffey, which is a very solid team, we played really good defense even though we received so many goals.”

“We were able to make it and played well,” sophomore David Allard said. “Winning sixth place was all right.”

All season long, coach Stanbury strived to take the team from a group of rookie players to a team that knows how to play good water polo.

“The team was discouraged when it lost so many games during the season,” Stanbury said. “But I felt like the most important thing is that they all had a very good attitude and kept working really hard.”

For the coach, it was a positive thing that the team made the most out of it when it had an opportunity to win.

“We just kept trying, even though we are losing,” Allard said. “We progressed and got better as a team.”

WOMEN’S SEASON ENDS

Going into its final three games of the year, the women’s water polo team had two goals that to accomplish but just like it did for most of the season, the team came up short.

EC finished seventh place out of eight teams in the South Coast Conference Tournament to finish the season with a record of 7-18.

“Even though they didn’t accomplish what they wanted to do in the tournament, the women played very well and they should be proud of themselves,” Stanbury said.

In the first game of the tournament, the Warriors fell to Chaffey 13-0, in a game that Stanbury was satisfied with even though the game was not close.

“We played good defense against Chaffey,” Stanbury said. “I saw that the (Chaffey) players were getting frustrated because they had trouble scoring. I was happy to see that.”

The second game was disappointing for the women, losing to Pasadena City 6-2, to give the Lancers the season series 2-1.

“The game was very close until the fourth quarter, where we couldn’t stop them from scoring,” Stanbury said.

EC won its final game of the season as it defeated L.A. Trade Tech 14-3 in the seventh place game.

“I’m proud that the team finished the season with a victory because it plays hard every game,” Stanbury said.

Goalie Kelley Lancaster fell two blocked shots away from tying her school record of most block shots in a season and ended the year with 233 blocked shots.

“I consider Lancaster as one of the better goalies in Southern California of not just this year, but of the past two years,” Stanbury said.