Team wins second straight at Moorpark

Despite a slow offensive start, the Warriors’ defense came out huge, creating four turnovers to lead EC past the Moorpark Raiders last weekend.

EC maintained its ground as players like freshman defensive back Nate Ness had two interceptions, which boosted the team’s defensive lineman to capture three sacks on Moorpark’s quarterbacks.

The Warriors will host the Golden West Rustlers Saturday at 6 p.m, in Murdock Stadium in their first conference game of the season and second home game.

“We had great defense again; anytime you can create four turnovers, you should come out on top,” Warriors’ coach John Featherstone said. “Our corners played great and freshman defensive back Nate Ness stepped up and won player of the week.”

The offense got off to a slow start, but was ignited by freshman running back Brian Flowers Jr.’s 148 yards on 12 carries; he also broke for a 68-yard touchdown run. Quarterback Nick Emmons went 7 for 16 for 107 yards, with two touchdown passes.

EC’s 31-14 victory over the Raiders came on the road Saturday, as it improved its record to 2-0 in non-conference games.

“It feels great to win. We knew we had to win the two crossover games against the Western State Conference, which we accomplished,” Featherstone said. “Now we are going to get into conference play this week, so the battle plans all change.”

The Rustlers have a 2-0 record after beating West L.A. and blowing by Southwestern College last Saturday 35-0. The Rustlers intended on handing EC its first loss of the season, but the Warriors have plans of their own.

“They are a good team; they are much better than last year,” Featherstone said. “They are playing good solid defense. They shut out Southwestern last week, but we can not afford to lose and go backward.”

The Warriors gained their first victory two weeks ago, as they defeated the Ventura Pirates, 38-14, at home, where they debuted on their newly refurbished field.

Defense playing strong

The defense was also a huge factor in this game as it held Ventura to a college record of minus 57 total rushing yards to go along with their six forced turnovers, eight sacks and two safeties.

“Our defensive line controlled the tempo of the game from start to finish,” Clavens Charles, cornerback, first team, said. “Our defense picked the game; they took the hearts of our opponents, and our offense finished them off.”

EC gained its first victory on the same field that is being occupied by the Happy Madison Production Company; which is currently filming “The Longest Yard,” starring Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, and Burt Reynolds here.

Filming has made home games at EC a lot tougher to set up, as it requires an abundance of work and time to turn the movie set back into a college football field.

“It was difficult for us to get the stadium up to speed,” athletic director Dave Shannon said. “Their crew helped us out and we were able to turn the stadium around from a movie studio shoot to an El Camino game.”

The filming of the “The Longest Yard” at EC has not only given the college recognition, but has benefited the college.

It has benefited the college because the studio decided to give EC a brand-new grass surface for using Murdock Stadium.

Focused on improving

The football team is working hard to improve its record to three straight wins this weekend while seeking its first conference win as well.

“If we continue to play the type of defense we are playing, we can hang around with any team,” Featherstone said. “Our defensive players have been consistent and we just have to continue playing solid defense.”

The Warrior defense has kept the team alive in the last two games, contribuing 10 forced turnovers and 10 sacks, giving the offense more time to get into the game.

“Our turnover ratio has been the factor to our consistency,” Featherstone said. “It’s one of the most important stats in the game of football. Our offense has been a little banged up, but we just need to become productive a lot sooner.”

With key injuries, EC will look toward the bench for help.

“As a team, we have some bumps and bruises,” Featherstone said. “We gotta take one game at a time and be a lot more consistent.”