No playoff seed for second consecutive year

Spring break brought no relief to the softball team as it lost to Golden West, L.A. Mission and Orange Coast, sendingits overall record to 9-18.

The Warriors will travel to face conference rival Long Beach City on Tuesday for its last game of the regular season.

EC lost 3-2 on Monday against Orange Coast and will have a week off prior to the beginning of playoffs, which the team has missed for the second consecutive year.

“We played well,but they [Orange Coast] scored one run that inning. That was it,” centerfielder Leslie Higgins said. “We almost had it. We had two good doubles from Jennifer Nelson, but it wasn’t enough.”

Throughout the season, the women have been plagued by small problems which has lead to big innings for their opponents.

“Usually we would struggle late in the game, like in the fifth,” Higgins said. “It’s hard to come back when you only play seven innings. Especially if you’re playing an away game.”

Assistant coach Bill Hood agreed with Higgins. Little errors would go on to cause big problems for the team, he said.

“Sometimes we had chances to come back, but we would have one bad inning and the team spirit would die, and we could not recover.” Hood said.

The inexperience of the team might have been a factor in the amount of losses obtained throughout the season.

“We have lots of new players. It’s just signs of a freshman team,” Hood said. There are four players who have been on the team two seasons and are ineligible to return. Yet, the rookie team of this season can be the experienced team for next year. Despite the negative results, Higgins said she has found some positives in a disappointing season.

“We improved on our fundamentals a lot,” Higgins said. “We don’t make as many throwing errors as we used to.”

The season has been a trying one for the Warriors, however the players are looking forward to Monday’s game. They want to enjoy their final game of the season by walkng away on a good note.

“All we’re going to do is go in and have fun,” Higgins said.

“At this point it’s all about having fun.” Hood said, “it’s been like that all season, hopefully we can beat Long Beach.”